31090051

, I am a veterinary nurse. I drive a veterinary ambulance.

Customer Question

, I am a veterinary nurse. I drive a veterinary ambulance. last 18 years my dog (various different dogs) has travelled in the passanger seat next to me. My employer now says that I am not allowed to do this as she will be liable if the dog causes an accident. If the dog was restrained according to the dvla and highway code law (ie dog cage or safety harness) is this still the case. I would really appreciate your advice as it now means I am unable to take my dog to work which will either result in me having to rehome my dog or look employment
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you question.
Your employer is entitled to ensure that you operate a safe system of working but it is strange that this has come up after so many years.
However, I think the principal has been established that you are permitted to take you dog to work with you. The safety aspect can, therefore, be addressed easily by your dog travelling by way of a restraint or cage as you say.
If your employer says that you can't take the dog to work at all then this would in my view be a change of your contract and you would have grounds .
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited time.