31090051

I am my wife's legal guardian. This seems to diminish my/our

I am my wife's legal guardian. This seems to diminish my/our rights to oversee our estate as we see fit
Is there any way I can reduce the guardianship accounting costs? I object to the annual costs of what I see as an unnecessary outlay.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my wife suffered a massive stroke 8 yrs ago leaving her disabled and unable to look after herself and deal with her financial affairs. I became her legal guardian through the court. Since retirement also full time carer.

I, as you will know, require to deliver annual accounts and pay an annual fee based on her estate value less heritable property. This year the fee is £518 which is extortion as there is nothing complicated about my wife estate - ISA's, bank accounts, Benefits and Pension. All routine stuff.

I feel the system does not take fully into account the fact I am her husband of 43 yrs, not a third party. Surely we do not require this overseeing and without any rights, have to deplete my wifes estate to pay for bureaucratic zeal.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately it doesn't matter if you are the husband or not. The laws apply to all guardians and if you are the guardian an annual account is needed and a fee is payable to OPG Scotland under the statute. There is nothing that can be done about this.