31090051

HiOn a Scottish based web site an anonymous person posted

On a Scottish based web site an anonymous person posted some possible defamatory comments about my company.
I notified the web site asking them to be taken down which they did but am wondering if its possible to pursue this legally to find out who the original poster was by IP address, etc
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure about the technicalities of whether the web host can find out the name of the person who posted the defamatory remarks, however, there is a precedent for disclosure of information by web hosts of information. You will remember the phone hacking scandal. Web hosts were served with court orders for disclosure of individuals. So there is no legal reason why you could not apply for a court order in the circumstances you describe.
In Scotland it would likely be an application under section 1 of the Administration of Justice (Scotland) Act which is where the court can grant warrant for the retrieval of documents or information likely to be required in subsequent court proceedings, such as the defamation action you are contemplating.
It goes without saying that you will need your own lawyer to make this application on your behalf.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Here is the relevant provision:
"Extended powers of courts to order inspection of documents and other property, etc.
(1)Without prejudice to the existing powers of the Court of Session and of the sheriff court, those courts shall have power, subject to the provisions of subsection (4) of this section, to order the inspection, photographing, preservation, custody and detention of documents and other property (including, where appropriate, land) which appear to the court to be property as to which any question may relevantly arise in any existing civil proceedings before that court or in civil proceedings which are likely to be brought, and to order the production and recovery of any such property, the taking of samples thereof and the carrying out of any experiment thereon or therewith."