31090051

In scotland if your partner inherits property, both of you

In scotland if your partner inherits property, both of you live in it as a married couple and have done a large extension to it doubling it in size, funded in part with mortgage and with my cash, what happens should you get divorced?
Normally inherited property remains with the inheritor but if it ens up as a family home in joint names with a mortgage and work done on it, it will be classed as a joint asset.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

many thanks for answer. what happens if my name is ***** ***** deeds of original property inherited? Can I get a mortgage for the extension without my name on deeds?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please see question below regarding your point about it being in joint names? Please can you let me know. Many thanks, XXXXXX

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please see question below regarding your point about it being in joint names? Please can you let me know.

No you can't do that. You would have to make a capital claim for a fair share to reflect your contribution to the house. The house would be treated as a family home but not necessarily matrimonial property.
I will be offline for a few hours but will catch any addition questions later.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.