31090051

My son and his girlfriend have split up he paid car

My son and his girlfriend have split up he paid for the car she has, he paid her father £5000 odds and the garage £4000 all names and amounts on his bank statements. He has asked her for the car but she has refused but offering monthly payments of £200. Can he force the car or a lump sum back. he also paid the road tax.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
He has no legal basis for asking for the car. He can pursue for the cost. She could ask the court for time to pay the debt if she hasn't got the full amount. He would have to oppose such an application on the basis she could sell the car to realise the cash.
The judge would have to decide what was reasonable. From experience a time to pay order is likely, especially if she demonstrates a need for the car.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.