31090051

I sub let some property as boat storage (ashore), one customer

I sub let some property as boat storage (ashore), one customer has not paid for two years, presently due £1940,boat value is about £3000, I have also carried out some work and maintenance on this vessel during the past two years,this is included in the fee, location is Scotland UK,i have invoiced monthly, nothing,no communication,what are my rights, can I sell the boat and items to clear the account, or is it small debts court,customer is not short of money,well established local businessman,i have advised him to pay prior to legal action,still nothing,please advise.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a Scots lawyer and will help you with this.
You can't sell the boat unless you get a decree for payment from the court followed by sheriff officers executing an attachment of the boat and then selling it, formerly called a pounding and warrant sale.
As you probably know you do have a lien on the boat, ie, you don't have to hand it over until you are paid.
Your first step is the small claim court for an action for payment. Details at www.scotcourts.gov.uk
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the information,appreciated.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.