31090051

, I am an international student with a

Dear Sir or Madam,
I am an international student with a tier 4 visa. I am writing to ask a question about the provision of the National Insurance Number for part time work.
I had attained my National Insurance Number before I started working, but my current work at a family-run tourist apartment as a cleaner did not ask me for it. They only required to see my visa to check my eligibility to work in the UK. My payment came through bank transfer.
A similar situation goes with my previous work as a home tutor. The parent just paid me cash for the hours I worked. Are these situations against the regulation of “provide your national insurance number for every employment you take”? Or there is a difference between 'employment' and the casual 'work'?
Also, though I definitely work under 20 hours during term time, I started to wonder if there is any restriction for international students to take such 'casual job'?
Thank you for your time and I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
You have to pay National Insurance Contribtions if you earn more than £153 per week. If you have been earning less than that you don't need to bother with your NI number.
If your Visa allows you to work up to 20 hours a week then you can do so whether casual work or not.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.