31090051

I live in Scotland and my partner and I who jointly own our

Customer Question

I live in Scotland and my partner and I who jointly own our house with a mortgage have split up.he put in a slightly hight deposit towards the house than me.the house is currently on the market-when it is sold is he legally entitled to a higher share of the net proceeds of sale than me or am I entitled to a 50 percent share?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a Scots solicitor and will help you with this.
There is a law in Scotland called unjust enrichment. What it means is that no one should be able to benefit if another party made a larger contribution. Unless there is evidence that he should not be credited for his larger contribution, for example, if you made a contribution towards fitting out or decorating, then generally he would be entitled to recover his larger contribution.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.