31090051

if y seven year old son does not wish to visit, spend the day

if y seven year old son does not wish to visit, spend the day with stay with overnight without his parents at his mothers grandparents. His mother says he has to go but as a father because of his alleged maltreatment which he verbally has informed me of on numerous occasions eg shouting at him a lot, forcing him food...being overly strict. Can his mother force him to go while his father does not want hi to spend unsupervised time with them ?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland.
Both parents have to act in the best interests of the child. The mother can Insist that the child goes. If the father doesn't consider that to be in th child's best interests he would need to apply to the court for an order stopping this.
The difficulty is that both parents have parental rights and responsibilities. Where they disagree as to the application of these there is no alternative but to ask the court to intervene.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.