31090051

I am in the process of buying my flat that is in a block of

I am in the process of buying my flat that is in a block of 4 and my downstairs neighbours wants to get the rendering renewed. I have not been shown any quotes or agreed to any works. They have told me the work is starting next week.
Can I refuse to pay if they go ahead without my agreement?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Josh-2010 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience. May I ask if you have exchanged contracts to date please?Do you believe the work will involve a contribution from you if you buy of more than £250?
Expert:  Josh-2010 replied 2 years ago.
Would you like to continue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a right to buy property, my solicitor sent in the missives on the 6th of March. My neighbour told me the quarter share would be £1200-£1500 but I have not seen the quote she had as it was sent to the housing association, I told my neighbour I did not want to agree to anything till the sale had gone through. ACHA (housing assocation) had already told my sol isotope they would not be paying for the rendering as I had applied to buy my flat from them, they also told me they had informed my neighbour not to go ahead with any works till the sale had gone through. I was away from home and returned to find the works had started. I told my solicitor and ACHA but the works are still ongoing. I want to know if I have to pay as I did not agree to these works and as I'm still paying rent I think it will be the housing association that has to stop the works or pay for the works. The sale will not complete until 21st May.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
You are not bound to pay for repairs when you don't own the property. It is a matter between the neighbour and the housing association.
I suggest the neighbour has preempted the issue and the housing association may not pay either in which case the only liable person here will be the neighbour.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.