31090051

My mother died in February,but reasons we had no

Customer Question

My mother died in February,but for various reasons we had no contact for over 20 years.I would like to know if she left a will . If she did not would I be entitled to a share of her
estate?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Whether there is a will or not, under Scpts law you are entitled to a share of her moveable estate, which is everything except buildings and land.
If your mother left no surviving spouse your share is a half if you are an only child, a quarter if there are two children, a sixth if there are three. The total "legal rights" fund is a half and it's shared with other children.
If there is a surviving spouse then the total share available to children as legal rights is a third between them.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.