31090051

My boyfriend took my 11 yr old son to the dentist and the dentist

my boyfriend took my 11 yr old son to the dentist and the dentist refused to treat him because my son was not old enough to consent and because my boyfriend is not his father. can he do this? and is there anything I can do about it as far as knowing the law
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
The dentist is right. Only a parent or legal guardian can consent to medical or dental treatment for a child as only a parent or guardian has parental responsibilities under the Children (Scotland) Act 1995. If your boyfriend is neither, the dentist won't carry out treatment.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so is there any thing I can do to permit him to have parental responsibility? other than adoption

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
The easiest thing to do would be to grant him power of attorney to take decisions on your behalf about your sons medical and dental treatment.