31090051

My dad died last April and his estate is still not finalised

My dad died last April and his estate is still not finalised despite having a will. Family informed 2 weeks ago that it would be settled within 2 weeks and we are still waiting. We just want closure and wonder if you could advise of what we can do. Thank you
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Is a lawyer dealing with the estate. What was involved in the estate?
Was there a house or land? Shares? Insurance policies?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The house is separate from the will. The lawyer is dealing with everything else which includes shares. There is no land.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
An average length of time to wind up a straightforward estate under Scots law is six months. You haven't told me anything that would tend to suggest that there is anything difficult which would delay the finalisation of the estate but I haven't seen the file of course.
As the estate is still not finalised after the two week period you were promised, you should get in touch with the law firm's client relations partner to find out what is going on. That would generally result in a detailed explanation.