31090051

I have a HBOS buy to let mortgage, last year the bank were

I have a HBOS buy to let mortgage, last year the bank were taking to me to court for mortgage payments not paid, this was their error not mine and they admitted it and cancelled the court and apologies and told me I would not be charged and any fees that were incurred would be removed. Today I received a letter stating over 800 solicitors fees were going to be charged to my mortgage account , I was very distressed. I have called the bank and they passed me to their complaints department, they have reversed the fee and another 300 fee that should not have been charged and other fees totalling 2,400 . They are giving me 200 compensation and 25 towards phone calls I have had to make unnecessarily. Is this fair?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
The compensation seems low but is typically the amount that they will offer. Call them back and say you have taken advice and that the amount of £400 would be more realistic for all that you have had to endure. You won't get more than this I don't think even if you go to the ombudsman which is what you would have to do.
Compensation for breach of contract has to be quantified. The £400 can be said to be allocated for inconvenience and distress. If you incurred legal fees of your own you could also claim those on top.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.