31090051

My parents are threatening to raise court action against me

My parents are threatening to raise court action against me for money they claim I owe but for which there has never been any agreement or contract. I have had conflicting advice on whether a Scottish court will entertain this or not. Can you advise?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a Scots lawyer and will help you with this.
Did you receive money from them and if so on what basis?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. I am 45 and lived with them until a few years ago when our relationship broke down. WE had two dogs which they still have and they claim I owe them money for the upkeep of the dogs. I already pay them £100 per month and I also paid them £900 last year to let them go on holiday. They now claim this isnt enough and because I have refused to pay them more, they are threatening court action and they say I owe at least £6500. There is no written agreement or contract other than a Kennel Club certificate which has my name on it. My undertsanding is that that doesnt prove ownership. I am feeling very threatened and worried by this.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
So who owns the dogs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They were family pets when I lived there My parents have chosen to keep them since I moved on. I pay towards them each month but no formal agreement.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
You're parents are acting bizarrely. There is no legal obligation on you to pay them any money at all. If you want to give them money voluntarily that is one thing but do not let them intimidate you. They have no right to treat you in this way. There is not a contract or any other legal obligation.