31090051

I bought a house myself about 3 years ago and have a large

I bought a house myself about 3 years ago and have a large amount of equity in it from houses I previously owned. The mortgage and house are in my name. My partner moved in and started to give me a monthly contribution towards bills/mortgage. He has not invested in the house himself and everything has always been in my name. It has been a very difficult relationship and he has not been easy to live with, aggressive and unpredictable at times. He stopped letting me share the main bedroom and makes me sleep in the spare room because I disturb him. I am often on edge and feel I need to be strong enough to ask him to move out but am worried he will want half the house or money back. His monthy money to me has been £370 which is his £80 share of council tax and the rest towards bills/mortgage. I do not feel this is a huge sum of money and if he had been renting on his own for the last 3 years his living costs would have been much higher. I feel a lot of my own salary hoes on house repairs and keeping the house running with food and cleaning products etc which he rarely buys. Any advice much appreciated. I live in scotland
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a Scots lawyer and will help you with this.
He can't claim a share of the house. The only claim he has in theory is one under section 28 of the Family Law (Scotland) Act 2006 for "compensation" for any financial disadvantage suffered by him in the interests of the relationship. If all he has been paying you is a contribution to the bills then he can't competently advance such a claim.
Tell him the relationship is over and tell him to leave. From your narrative he has no claim against you.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.