31090051

A farm has been left to the grandchildren (9 in total).

A farm has been left to the grandchildren (9 in total). There is no specific allocation of the land [no house] and so we need to know what options exist for recording ownership of sections of land to groups of beneficiaries or maybe even to individuals.

Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
If the will doesn't divide the land then at the point it vests in the beneficiaries it will be owned pro indiviso jointly.
If the beneficiaries agree to divide the title do that each have specific portions that would be a separate conveyancing exercise whereby the title us split between then with reference to a deed plan showing each share.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. The land is left in 3 lots to 2,4 and 3 individuals. Very approximately how much do you think I will need to pay for the land to be registered in the 3 lots to those groups?

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I think you would pay about £400 plus vat per registration plus £60 to the Registers of Scotland depending on the value of the land.
Solicitors fees can be negotiable but that would be broadly what you would expect to pay.