31090051

There my grandson is 27 years old, he is unable to get

Hi there
my grandson is 27 years old, he is unable to get council accomadation, he has found a one bedroom flat, what is his position on housing benefit,, he lives in Morayshire Scotland
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
A single person under 35 renting from a private landlord wouod usually only get a local housing allowance to cover the cost of a single room in a shared house in the area, not housing benefit.
However there is an exception to this if he is severely disabled. In that case the shared accommodation rate doesn't apply and he would get the local housing allowance for the whole flat.
You can check out the amount of local housing allowance rates for your area on the Directgov website.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.