31090051

My father passed away recently aged 78, in Scotland. He was

My father passed away recently aged 78, in Scotland. He was in care under the mental health act long term due to Bipolar, had been for a few years. It was decided that he could not return home, his home was rented from the council, his tenancy was ended and his household possessions put into storage, this was forced on him. Due to my Father's age, situation and the condition of his household items, they should have been retired not stored. I was never consulted or involved in the decision to end my Father's tenancy and put his items into storage. I never signed any agreements with anyone about anything. I received a letter around the end of June stating that storage had been paid until 15th July, along with details of the storage company and an inventory. No other information was given. Am I legally obliged to pay for storage after the 15th July 2015 and am I legally obliged to pay for the disposal of the items in storage? If the answer is no, would going to the storage facility and looking for photos and taking them then make me liable in anyway. My husband would have to do this on my behalf. This is all very stressful as I am housebound presently due to illness and I would rather not have to deal with this if I don't have to.

Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I am a Scots lawyer and will help you with this.
You are not responsible for the storage charges nor for the cost of disposal. Your father's estate is responsible. If he left a will he will have an executor. If he didn't one can be appointed but in either event the cost comes from the person's estate, not from his relatives. If there is no money in the estate the goods will simply be disposed of by the storage facility.
There is nothing to stop you going to collect photographs. That would not make you liable in any way.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.