31090051

We currently work offshore on a rotation. We work 146 days

Customer Question

We currently work offshore on a rotation. We work 146 days per annum. To battle the ongoing reducing oil price our company is planning to make us work extra time offshore. Around 14 extra days. We will be getting paid for these extra days. Because we will be working extra days then the company will be making some staff redundant. So basically there are making some people redundant and asking others to work more to cover the shortfall. Is this legal?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
It is legal to make people redundant and to have other existing staff take over their duties.
However that would be an alteration to the existing staff's contracts of employment and that can only be done with the agreement of those staff. In other words an employer can't unilaterally change a contract of employment without the agreement of the employee.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.