29905560

Payslips and contract

Customer Question

My son is working as a apprentice chef for around 7 weeks now and has only been given 2 wage slips and no contract every time he asks for them his employer brushes him of and he works about 53 hours

a week and he only gets paid 150 a week is this legal he is 20 years

old

Category: Scots Law
Hello, his employer has a duty to issue him with a written statement of employment particulars (similar to a contract) within the first 2 months of him starting to work there.
In terms of the working hours and wages he is entitled to be paid the minimum wage for his status. If he is an apprentice in his first year then the minimum he should be paid is £2.73 an hour. As long as the employer pays him that then they are abiding by the law. This rate should rise in his second year and will depend on his age at the time. If he is still 20 then it would be £5.13 but if he is 21 or over it would be £6.50.
You also say he is working over 50 hours a week. The law states that employees should only work an average of 48 hours a week unless they have opted out of this limit with their employer. So if every week he has worked over that limit he could remind the employer that there is a legal limit in place and that he would expect them to abide by it.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help and advice what about his wage slips should

he be getting them every week and should they have the amount of

hours he worked and his hourly pay thanks

He is entitled to get a pay slip every time he gets paid. The details that must be included are here:
https://www.gov.uk/payslips