31090051

I have changed energy suppliers from Sainsbury Energy to E-on

Customer Question

I have changed energy suppliers from Sainsbury Energy to E-on on 19/4/15. Today I received a 2nd Final bill from Sainsbury for £80.72.
The explanation I have received from both of them is as follows , the final meter reading for electric was sent by E-on to Sainsbury on 9/4/15, this reading was received by Sainsbury on 7/7/15. Why the three month delay? Explanation the meter reading was sent to Scottish Hydro as they are Distributors for meters. Why the three months delay?
As I was under the impression that this change over of suppliers was completed on 26/3/15 am I due to pay this bill?
Companies involved in this switch over: Sainsbury, E-on, British Gas and Scottish Hydro.
This was through the Scottish Daily Express.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Does this account relate to usage before or after the switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Before the switch, however Sainsbury used a January meter reading knowing that I would have used electricity form January to march 2015 when they sent me a final bill for my electric on 20th April 2015. I feel it was up to Sainsbury to make sure they had an up to date meter reading before finalising their service. I think to send me a bill for £80.72 four months later is unreasonable, as they failed to check that they had a correct meter reading on 20th April.

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
You are right. It is unreasonable and also shows incompetence. However, contractually you are bound to pay for your usage and you are bound to pay the bill.
The only way otherwise is to complain to the ombudsman and they may recommend that the bill is waived. You can learn about that here:
http://www.ombudsman-services.org/energy.html
Happy to discuss further.