31090051

What is the situation as to Time off Work Duties.

Customer Question

What is the situation as to Time off Work for Council Duties. I thought Scottish Law said that it was to be negotiated between the employer and employee.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
The law is that you are entitled to time off for local authority duties. The amount of time is defined as what is reasonable in the circumstances having regard to the time required by he council balanced against the needs of he employer.
Here is the relevant statutory provision for your to read:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/18/part/VI/crossheading/public-duties
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Sorry. I wanted an answer based on Scots Law not the UK one. I have seen something saying that varied in Scotland from the English and Welsh - UK GOV. You can google and get the above web page in minutes. It included the words by negotiation prior to being elected and elsewhere there was something about the number of employees the company had being relevant.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I am a solicitor in Scotland. Scots and English employment law are governed by the same legislation. If you are saying there is an exception here you will have to let me see the specific link you are referring to.