31090051

Is the spouse of a deceased person entitled to a share of the

Customer Question

Is the spouse of a deceased person entitled to a share of the estate of that person's parents on the death of the parents?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  clairep80 replied 2 years ago.
Did the Parents leave a Will - and did the deceased person have any children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mother-n-law died in February of this year, having made a Will leaving her estate to be shared equally between two remaining sons. Two other sons who died before either parent, had no children, but one left a widow who remarried. The initial enquiry did highlight a tab indicating that this is a matter for Scot's law. Are you aware of this?

Expert:  clairep80 replied 2 years ago.
My apologies - I shall opt out and transfer it to the correct section!
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a lawyer in Scotland and will help you with this. Im sorry this didn't come to the Scots law category when it should have.
The widow of the deceased son has no rights to the estate, I'm afraid. Only those named in the will have a right to inherit as would the children of a predeceasing child which you have confirmed doesn't apply here.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm satisfied with your answer. Many thanks for that.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.