31090051

My daughter lives in Dunfermline, Scotland and she has had

Customer Question

My daughter lives in Dunfermline, Scotland and she has had a terrible leak in her roof for about six months now. She is not having much joy with her insurance company "Insure Scotland" and they are really giving them the run around. It is also not healthy living in a damp place for so long. Her and her boyfriend are young first time homeowners and they don't know what to do. As they had no joy with the insurance company they got a private contractor out to fix the problem and paid £500.00 which they cant really afford as she doesnt have a job and her boyfriend is doing shift work. But still no joy the roof is still leaking. I live in South Africa and we have Ombudsman who we can refer insurance problems to. Is there an Ombudsman they can approach to help them with the insurance problem and anyone else they can speak to with regard to the private contractor?

Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Yes, there an ombudsman in the UK she can contact. Here is the link:
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk
As regards ***** ***** contactor she should speak to him in the first instance as his repair hasn't worked. If she doesn't get any joy with that she would have to see a solicitor as this would be a civil dispute for which there is no ombudsman service.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good Day

I really don't think your answer is worth R770.00 as I am not even sure that the Financial Ombudsman will deal with anything in Scotland.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for responding. I can assure you that the Financial Ombudsman deals with cases in Scotland, England and throughout the UK. I am a lawyer in Scotland and deal with the Financial Ombudsman regularly. Were it the case that the Financial Ombudsman didn't deal with Scotland I would not have told you that he did.
I trust you read the website I gave you a link for. If you read the FAQs page the first thing it says is:
"We can help with complaints about most problems involving financial products and services provided in or from the UK".
Scotland is in the UK.
I hope this helps.
Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.