31090051

I was charged with stealing a £145 bottle of perfume from Debenhams

I was charged with stealing a £145 bottle of perfume from Debenhams in stirling scotland on Tuesday my wifes birthday! I am ashamed humiliated and embarassed 54 year old professional man who has never been in trouble with the police in his life. I was not arrested but interviewed at the store then told to expect a leeter from the procurator fiscal> i am beside myself with worry that if this goes to court that it may come out , my wife is a teacher and does not know. do you know whether this will go to court?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
I can't speculate on this, as you will appreciate, but it is more than possible that the PF will offer you a fixed penalty notice for this and if you pay it you will not end up with having to go to court
That is not uncommon in an isolated case for a person with no record and of otherwise good character.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you based in Scotland and practice Scots Law?

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I am and do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Before I was allowed to leave the policeman asked if I had anything to say if i did so this could be used in court as evidence against me. "Did I want to reply?" I said no and was asked to sign his notebook. By doing so have have I done the right or wrong thing? would this be seen as unhelpful or obstructive? I was like a rabbit in the headlights and didnt want to make matters any worse by saying the wrong thing.

Mark

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
No, they have cautioned and charged you and you have made no response to th caution and charge. That is normal.