31090051

My wife is theatening to leave me. We live in scotland. I am concerned about assets. (?min

my wife is theatening to leave me. We live in scotland. I am concerned about assets. (?mine/joint) If I move(give away for safe keeping) any assets now before there is a "relevenet date" of separation will they be safe? other consequences?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a family law solicitor and will help you with this.
A court can take into account the fact that a spouse has removed, given away or hidden assets. So they would still have to be declared as in existence as at the relevant date. If you are wanting to safeguard the assets from being spent or taken by your wife that is fine but if you are wanting to hide the assets from her then you will have a problem, assuming your wife knows about them already.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.