How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11561
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have been divorced year and when I signed divorce papers

Resolved Question:

I have been divorced for a year and when I signed divorce papers I had been given no advice of what I was entitled to from my marriage. the house that was our home my ex wife had just purchased before our ten year relationship started. I spent most of that ten years as i'm a joiner to trade rebuilding the inside of said house meaning extension, loft convertion and renovation of rest of house. hours spent on labour estimate at £20,000 and that's conservative I also landscaped both of her gardens completely. the value my work added an estimated £30,000 to her house more than she had left to pay on mortgage that i was paying as well and I walked away unadvised with nothing is there any way to claim any sort of compensation on the info I have given.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
Why were you not advised? Did you take advice from a solicitor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To JGM, I was not advised at the time because my now ex wife works in a solicitors office as a typist for lawyer for many years and she said that because she had bought house before we married I was not entitled to anything so I didn't seek advice as I thought what she said to be true. At no point have I had any legal advice on matter until now with you.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I'm afraid now that decree of divorce has been granted it is too late to turn the clock back and make a claim. You have no legal remedy in the circumstances, I'm sorry to say.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you