31090051

There. I live in private rented property, I have been sent

Hi There.
I live in private rented property, I have been sent an email by a company called
Safe Deposits Scotland, It says my deposit is being held by them in accordance with the tenancy deposit scheme,
It also says my deposit wont automatically be refunded to me, and I would have to enter into correspondence with them, my lease does not mention this, as a private renter you always need your deposit for your next rental, is this legal.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
It is not only legal it is compulsory and was brought in to protect tenants from unscrupulous landlords who would hold onto deposits for spurious reasons. At the end of the tenancy now, the tenant applies for the deposit and unless the landlord can establish a good reason for any retention being made, the safe deposit company will return the deposit to the tenant. There is also an arbitration scheme where there is a dispute between landlord and tenant.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.