31090051

My daughter elected to sign up school trip sanctioned

Customer Question

my daughter elected to sign up for a school trip sanctioned by her school with the sales pitch being that fundraising from previous experience would cover in part if not all the cost of this adventure. the pupils came up with some great ideas for fundraising which seemed to have the school's approval until eventualities kicked in and every effort was made by the head teacher and others - some not even involved in the holiday - to deliberately thwart these efforts. as a result no fundraising of any note was in fact carried out at the school such that by the time they had the opportunity to withdraw from this it was too late and each of the 10-12 parents were committed to a cost per pupil over over £3000! what rights might we have to sue the school for such obstruction and recovery of virtual promised recovery of costs?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
In what way were the parents committed? Was a contract signed? In my opinion if the school misrepresented the cost of the trip by not doing the fundraising events then the parents could refuse to proceed further with the trip. This seems to be a situation where there is misrepresentation which would justify withdrawal. It very much depends on the precise manner in which the representation was made to start with.
If there was a contractual liability of £3000 which MIGHT be offset by fundraising then the cost is £3000 and anything off that is a bonus.
If there was a cast iron promise that the cost would be reduced by fundraising then there is a case to be made.