31090051

Building Regulations-Scotland

I have been looking a some property details for a residential property in the Highlands of Scotland..
The particulars make clear that an extensive loft conversion providing a large living room, shower room and storage room accessed by steep stairs from ground floor level have all been carried out without building regulation approval. It is stated that this work was done about 25 years ago.
If I was successful in buying the property I would let it as a holiday let for a number of years before then using it as a permanent home. I can see that letting a non compliant property might create liability problems in respect of holiday tenants.
Is it feasible to obtain retroactive approval/ warrant? Presumably this is likely to create a need to do significant work to satisfy the regulations.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I am a solicitor in Scotland and will help you with this.
Works carried out over 20 years ago are generally not of concern to councils. However, you are right in that a holiday home has to comply with all safety regulations. A building surveyor would have to advise you of the extent to which the property did not comply with regulations. You would then apply to the council for a building warrant to do such alterations as were required to satisfy the regulations. I suggest that you get all of this checked out before you commit to buy so that you are aware of the potential costs involved.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.