Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I am a benificiary in my late aunts will, I'm concerned as

Customer Question

I am a benificiary in my late aunts will, I'm concerned as the will is just dated 2014, with no month and date on it? Is this legal
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
According to law for a will to be valid it must be signed by the testator (person making the will) and at least two witnesses who are present when the will is signed. There is no legal requirement for a will to be dated to be valid. However, in order to apply for a Grant (authority to administer the estate) it will be necessary to provide evidence to a judge or registrar of the date on which the will was executed (signed).
One of the witnesses to the will or another person present at the signing of the will may give evidence of the date of signing. If it is not possible to give evidence of a particular date, evidence must be given that the will was signed during a particular time in between two dates. In this case both witnesses to the will are likely to be required to give evidence. If no one can give evidence of the date it will be necessary to provide evidence that a thorough search has been made and no other will has been found.
I hope this helps and answers your question.
Kind Regards
Al
Can I assist you any further?
If not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.
Kind Regards
Al