31090051

I am a widow receiving a widows pension from my late husbands

Customer Question

Hi I am a widow receiving a widows pension from my late husbands employer it says that if I re marry or cohabitate I will loose my pension but I have a very dear friend how I would like to we would like to buy a house together so as to share the costs anabling us to live more comfortable we would have separate rooms as we wouldn't be together in that way he is 64 and I am 58 and have some health problems which means I could retire earlier if we were just shareing the house hold bills
What do you think
Thanks Mary
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Cohabit means living together at bed and board, not living as housemates. You should be fine with the arrangement you propose. I suggest that you do check the exact wording of the scheme and any stated definitions therein to be sure, however.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.