31090051

Is there a time limit police have to make an arrest after a

Customer Question

Is there a time limit police have to make an arrest after a report for alledged assault in scotland
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.

No there isn't. Assault is a common law crime and there are no time limits relating to it. In theory a charge could be made months or years later in any crime which is based on common law.

On the other hand, the police are expected to do their job and if they unduly delay in bringing charges and there is no reason for the delay then they could be subject to critisism and complaint for holding things up on the basis that justice delayed is justice denied.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.