31090051

What does the term quattro mean in planning terms. My

Customer Question

What does the term quattro mean in planning terms. My neighbour wishes to build an extension on ground shared, I think, between four houses.

Its a block of four houses,  Two upper two lower.

Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with an interest in planning law. The term "quattro" is not a planning term. Can you give me the context in which you have found the word? In general terms, anyone can apply for planning permission on ground owned in common by others but before any building could begin, the person would have to own and control the ground. You can't build on common ground even if the current common owners agreed as a future owner, for example, could object. Happy to discuss further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I've not replied sooner but I was called away. The terminology in my missives is QUARTO. It indicates on my plans that the area he proposes to build on is marked yellow which means o have access and responsibility for it

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Quarto means "Fourth" and is the old way of numbering clause in title deeds, eg, "primo, secundo, tertio, quarto" and so on.

As indicated someone cannot build on common land without the consent of the co proprietors although there is no rule that prevents them submitting a planning application. The law of planning and the law of property are separate and distinct under Scots law.

Happy to discuss further.