31090051

I am looking at buying property in Scotland with planning

Only one question to answer thanks Margaret  One charge of £38.00

Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.
What is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am looking at buying a property in Scotland which has planning permission to improving the land. Must I carry out the proposed works if I am a new buyer. And is it true if I agree to purchase I must do so. Thanks Margaret.

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
I am a solicitor in Scotland and will help you with this.
The normal rule is that if a property or land has planning permission it is for the owner to decide whether to develop or not. There are circumstances whereby the local authority can put a notice on the land or a previous owner may have agreed to do something to the land (called a section 75 agreement) and in those circumstances it is possible that there may certain obligations on the owner.
Your solicitor will, as part of the transaction obtain a property enquiry report which should disclose any such issues and a call to the planning authority by you would be advisable as well.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.