31090051

Our tenant had an assured tenancy paid by the local authority

Customer Question

our tenant had an assured tenancy paid by the local authority . they have moved out giving us no notice . is the local authority liable for the next two months or whatever rent /council tax . the tenant has moved into a local authority house
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
The local authority is not liable as it is not a party to the lease. They pay you directly as a matter of administration only. The party you have to pursue for breach of contract is the tenant.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi
is this tenant liable for the council tax to an agreed date of them stopping the tenancy , or are they only liable to the date they did a runner ? if that is the case why bother having a tenancy agreemeny
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
If the landlord is pursued for the council tax he can pursue the tenant in turn. That would be the case only if there was no exemption after the tenant left.