31090051

I regards ***** ***** angling in Scotland, when your a on a

I regards ***** ***** angling in Scotland, when your a on a beat of a river and you reach the downstream boundary. Is this boundary for your feet as it were or for your lure? I understood it to be for your feet and you could cast the river width from that point

It is on the river tweed in the galashiels area Regards ***** *****

Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
As you will be aware salmon fishing laws are different from other freshwater fish laws as they emanate from the Crown as opposed to general land ownership.
Can you clarify what downstream boundary you are referring to. The property boundary of the landowner? The boundary between Scotand and England?
There are different rules depending on the facts so it would be helpful if you could explain your situation a little more. I will then have a look at this for you and reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi it is when you are fishing on a salmon river wholly in Scotland andcthe are sometimes divided into "beats" owned by different estates so when you reached your downstream end of your beat sometimes called the "March or Marches " does it mean that you feet stop there and you can fish from that point the width of the river in an arc or does it mean that your lure must stop at this point

I was told years ago that you could stand at this point and fish the distance of the width ofvthe river downstream in an arc

If this helps

Murray

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply. In terms of section 1 of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries (Protection)(Scotland) Act 1951 as amended by the Salmon Act 1986 it is an offence for a person to fish for or take salmon in any waters without written permission from a person who has that right. So if your lure enters an adjacent beat and you don't have the permission of a person from that beat, you are committing an offence. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.