31090051

I am 20 years old, and I have a question regarding a guy

Customer Question

Hi I am 20 years old, and I have a question regarding a guy who I like and he also likes me and he is 17 and soon to be turning 18, we met online and we known eachother since he was 16, the age of consent in the UK is 16, and would it be illegal for me
to ask him to meet up with me when I am over the age of 18? I am worried I read somewhere online that the age of consent online is 18, but in real life the age of consent is 16, I am confused, we have never engaged in anything sexual online, and when the law
states meeting up with someone under 16 is grooming then on other places it says the age of consent for online is 18, So what is the correct answer on this?
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Whilst many online dating companies don't let you join until the age of 18 it is legitimate for two people over the age of 16 to meet up and have a relationship and that can be a sexual relationship. That is because in Scotland the age of consent is 16. The exception would be where one party is in a position of trust, such as a teacher.
I hope that helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So let me get this right, its legal for 2 16 year olds or older to meet up and have a relationship but its illegal to share sexual images of a sexual nature with eachother online if we are not both over 18? But its legal to arrange to meet up with someone over the age of 16 and to talk about what we might do? Even though isnt just a sexual relationship, I would like to be careful when dealing with this kind of thing if he is 17 and not legally yet a adult at 18.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
In Scotland he is legally an adult for the purposes of relationship and sex. The relevant law is the Sexual Offences (Scotland) Act 2009 which you can get online. There is also nothing to stop the private sharing of photos between over 16s.