31090051

We paid our bill to the Holiday Inn Express at Glasgow airport

We paid our bill to the Holiday Inn Express at Glasgow airport for accommodation and parking. We told them the parking bay where our car was but no one in the Holiday Inn mentioned that this was a separate parking area owned by NCP.
We have since received 2 letters from NCP demanding payment and now a letter from a Debt Recovery Service demanding payment if £150 can you advise if this is legal and should we this
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland.
I think you have done the right thing by not paying NCP. A private operator of a car park has to be able to prove that you knew that you should not be parking in their car park and of course they won't be able to do that as the fact is that you paid for parking as part of your hotel bill so of course you had no knowledge and therefore didn't enter into a contract with NCP.
They have to prove a contractual relationship and they can't do that. I would write saying there is no contract as you were led to believe that Holiday Inn Express had contracts with you for parking at that location. They will probably continue to send you demands but, typically, they will eventually stop bothering you as they won't go to court with this for the reasons I have said.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.