31090051

I recently paid a local roofing company to replace my slate

Customer Question

Hi, I recently paid a local roofing company to replace my slate roof. They appeared to have done a good job and I paid them in full for the work done, however a few days after the work was completed we had heavy rain and I realised that the roof was leaking; my front bedroom, (which I do not use) was heavily water damaged and it was not until the water started leaking through the lounge ceiling that I realised there was a leak.
I contacted the company they have said they do not want their insurance involved, they have fixed the leak but it appears they have not replaced the original lead flashing when replacing the roof and they have been unclear about what they are going to do with regards ***** ***** water damage. I have had to hire de-humidifiers in an attempt to dry the room out, they have told me that the electric light and carpet will be ok once they dry out. However the light keeps fusing and the room is beginning to smell of dampness.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
From what you say the company accept that they caused the leak by way of their workmanship and that the issue now is the extent to which they have to arrange repairs.
Where you have had to hire in dehumidifiers, that alone is evidence that the leak was substantial. The correct way of proceeding is to get an independent list of works which are required to reinstate your property and the building company either have to do that work or pay for it to be done by another company. There is no doubt that the electricity supply has to be checked. The second builder should be asked for a schedule of works and costs in writing so that the original contractor can have a reasonable time to look at this and reply.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.