31090051

My daughter had a kitchen knife in school bag as was hearing

Customer Question

My daughter had a kitchen knife in school bag as was hearing voices and had self harmed prior to going to school. She was scared she would hear voices again. We did not know she heard voices has been since diagnosed her with post traumatic stress following childhood trauma prior to being adopted. School gave her a fixed term exclusion for carrying an offensive weapon. Has been a model pupil prior to this. Is the term offensive weapon correct and also should I appeal her exclusion
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
The term offensive weapon is correct but you should appeal the exclusion on medical grounds. There would appear to be more than enough mitigation to argue against exclusion and in favour of assistance. I presume you can assure that school that you would ensure no repetition of the knife being carried to school.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.