31090051

I'm in a really difficult situation with regards ***** ***** contract

I'm in a really difficult situation with regards ***** ***** contract I entered into on 2nd November to do a training course online. I don't know what on earth possessed me to do it because I can't afford it. To be honest I felt pressured into it. When the chap told me the price I told him that there was no way I could afford it but he continued to talk saying that when I passed the course I could get a really good job and I could also become self employed. There was a 14 day cancellation period in the agreement but I swear to you I've no recollection of it being mentioned to me although I'm sure it was. Even more alarming I didn't read the small print (which is so not like me). The last day I could have cancelled was 16th November. I've been sick with worry about my mother's health. She lives in a care home and had to go into hospital for a heart trace on 17th November and we ended up having to stay overnight because she's now been diagnosed with a heart condition. I've emailed a request to cancel the course but I've been told that since it is outside the 14 day cancellation period I can't and I'm still liable for the remaining balance. I've since properly read the agreement and I'm now terrified because I'm basically trapped no matter what I do. I can't believe I've got myself into this situation and I'm a mess.
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why haven't I heard back. I posted my question 24 hours ago?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Can you please email details of the contract and your other communications to***@******.*** and ask the moderator to send it to me. i will read it and see if there is any way out for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will send the documentation to you along with an email I've received. You will see that they've suggested other avenues. I don't know anyone else who could afford to do this course and even if I postpone or switch I still have to pay and that's what's causing all the worry. I went to see my GP this morning cause I'm just not coping and everything is getting on top of me.Thank you for your email dated ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬02/12/2015.
As a Distance Learning Provider, we try to assist our students as best as we can to help them complete the initial qualification they set out to achieve. Following your email I completely appreciate your circumstances surrounding your cancelation request.
As per our terms and conditions outlined in the enrolment email sent to you on the 02/11/2015. Home Learning College does not accept cancellations or provide refunds outside the statutory cancellation period. Any course can only be terminated and refunded within 14 days of enrolment.
This review period gives students the opportunity to look through all course materials to check that the course is well suited to them.
Whilst I understand that your circumstances have changed since enrolling onto your course but we do have policies and procedures that we need to adhere to within our organisation.
Alternatively you have a few options available to you:
• Transfer your course to a close friend or family member.
• Transfer onto another course. Should you wish to transfer to an alternative Home Learning College course, please visit: http://www.homelearningcollege.com/ where you will find details of current Home Learning College courses. Please be advised that we are currently able to offer Accounting, Bookkeeping and Payroll, Human Resources, and Marketing courses and note that all transfers are reviewed on an individual basis and may be subject to additional fees.
• Put the study support period on hold
You are able to put your course on hold for a period of 3 or 6 months. Once you have confirmed the period you wish to put your course on hold for we will suspend your account for the appropriate period during this time you will not have access to any online services. We will also confirm a date that you would need to contact us to update us on your current situation. When you are ready to resume your course we will unsuspended your account and add the additional support to your course.
Please note that while your studies are on hold you are still liable to make any outstanding payments towards your course.
If we can offer any further assistance, please contact the Student Service Team on 0208(###) ###-####alternatively you can email***@******.***
We are open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 9.30am to 4.30pm.
Kind Regards,
Sebastien Robert
Student ServicesI sent this in response:Dear SebastianI’m so sorry that I got upset but I’m under an enormous amount of stress and anxiety at the minute.The doctor at my mum’s care home was concerned about her and sent her for a heart trace. Appointment was arranged for Tuesday 17th November.I took my mum to the hospital on the Tuesday. She had a heart trace and we were told to take a seat In the waiting area. We were then told she had to have another heart trace done. The consultant then spoke to me and said he was concerned and said I needed to take my mum to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital that day to see a cardiologist but before that she had to have an ultrasound done.I drove her to the other hospital and spent the whole day with her. My two aunts came to the hospital to support me. They did tests on her and decided to admit her overnight as they had to carry out more tests. I had to stay with her during the night as she was being monitored. I didn’t get a wink of sleep that night. My mum didn’t get much sleep either. Mum was discharged the following day.My head has been all over the place. I’m not the sort of person who does this kind of thing. Had I not been in such an emotional state I would have paid more attention and notified you that I wanted to cancel the course within the 14 days. I’ve been sick with worry over all of this and I’ve decided I’m going to see my own GP next week.RegardsAnn RutherfordThey've asked to see medical evidence.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
The contract is quite clear and you are bound to make payment under it. For that reason and on the basis that they have asked for medical evidence I would give them medical evidence to the effect that you weren't of full capacity when you signed up because of your mother's condition and the stress you were under. they may agree to wiave the 14 days and let you off, say, minus the deposit. that is the only option given that you have entered into a binding contract.
I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.