31090051

My ex wife and i separated back in 1997. We had one daughter

My ex wife and i separated back in 1997. We had one daughter who was born on October 1996. I have had no contact with either my ex wife or my daughter since that time but pay child maintenance on a regular basis. My daughter will now be 19 years old and i think she is either at college or university studying to be a nurse though i can't confirm this. I tried asking the CSA on numerous occasions how long i need to keep paying this but they never respond. As i have no contact with my ex wife i have no idea when to stop the payments. Could you please advise ?
Many Thanks,
Jim
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland.
If your daughter is in full time education you should not be paying CSA and this should have stopped when she was 18. Maintenance for your daughter during her studies should be assessed on a needs and resources basis (as opposed to a formula basis) and paid directly to your daughter.
If you are paying the CSA directly you will have a reference number. You should call them, point out that your daughter is 19 and why are you still paying CSA money?
And stop paying as I don't think you should be for the reason outlined above.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.x