31090051

I have jointly owned a piece of land + years with one

Customer Question

I have jointly owned a piece of land for 40+ years with one other person who died recently. Can the deceased's family insist that one of them becomes the new joint owner or will I pay the deceased's estate 50% of the value?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and will help you with this.
If the title you held with the deceased was equally between you and to the survivor then you would automatically inherit the whole property on death.
If the title was not to the survivor but was simply held equally between you then the deceased's share passes according to the will or if there is no will to the family in accordance with the rules of succession. You can offer to buy out the deceased's share. If the family don't agree to this then you can apply to the court to have the property sold.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.