31090051

There,I am trying to get a better picture of what I

Customer Question

Hi there,
I am trying to get a better picture of what I might be faced with in terms of inheritance tax in the UK. Allow me to explain:
My mother was born, raised and still lives in Singapore. She owns her home which is now fully paid off, in Singapore. I started working and living in the UK 2 years ago and still am in the UK.
My question is, if the day should come, while I am still in the UK, that I inherit this home in Singapore, will I be liable for UK inheritance tax?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
The answer to your question is no. It is the deceased's residence that is relevant not the beneficiary. If the person who died isn’t deemed domiciled in the UK their estate:has to pay Inheritance Tax on their assets in the UK - except excluded assetswon’t have to pay UK Inheritance Tax on their assets outside the UK HMRC only recognises a change of domicile if there’s strong evidence that someone has permanently left the UK and intends to live abroad indefinitely. From what you say your mother has never lived in the UK so inheritance tax on her estate isn't an issue. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.