31090051

I have am a tenant in Scotland and i initially signed a 6 month

Customer Question

I have am a tenant in Scotland and i initially signed a 6 month lease (Feb 2011)- which then states its yearly thereafter with a months notice by either party.
Can you advise if I was to give notice to vacate in Feb 2017 is this acceptable?
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any idea of when I am likely to receive a response on this?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and have just received your question.
If your lease is currently running on a year to up year basis, giving notice now to vacate in February 2017 is perfectly acceptable. From what you describe of the lease, you have to give at least a month's notice before the 2017 anniversary date, called the "ish" date in Scotls Law.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologises I meant I was to give notice now to vacate in Feb 2016 not 2017. I assume the answer is the same that I am giving notice a month from the end of the year on year lease?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Is the yearly anniversary not August, ie, Feb 2011 for an initial 6 months then August 2011 for 12 months and so on?
Can you scan and email the lease to***@******.*** and ask the moderator to send it on toCustomer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was the jist of my initial question!We initially signed a six month contract in Feb 2011 which then went onto a rolling 12 month. For me it's yearly from the initial start of lease but are you saying that it's yearly after the initial 6 months term?
This is a private rental with the lease written by the landlord.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
That's what I want to examine for you and why I would like to see the lease.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be unable to scan and email the document until the 5th Jan
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
I'll look out for it. Thank you.