31090051

My stepmother has just died and her son is disregarding her

Customer Question

My stepmother has just died and her son is disregarding her wishes for a cremation. She wanted to be cremated and a plaque put alongside that if my father who she was married to for 40 years. Her son who became a Muslim has organised for her to be buried as he says his faith does not believe in cremation. And also to be buried alongside his father. Can he go against her wishes like this?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland.
If your stepmother has a will stating her funeral wishes then they should be followed. If there is no will then her closest relative can make a decision as to what the funeral should be.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.