31090051

How can it get power of attorney wife who is mentally

How can it get power of attorney for my wife who is mentally and physically ill and unable to look after herself.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. If your wife is mentally ill to the extent that she cannot understand what a power of attorney is and read and understand the contents, you cannot go down this route. Instead you will have to apply to the court to have yourself appointed as your wife's guardian. You will have to use a solicitor for this but your wife should qualify for legal aid to cover the cost of the application and the required medical certificates. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.