31090051

My daughter is 6 years old and her dad lives 1.5hours away, she cu

Customer Question

Hi, my daughter is 6 years old and her dad lives 1.5hours away, she currently visits every second weekend, she leaves after school on a Friday and returns on a sunday, I have felt for quite some time that it is too much for her and I am unsure what I can do about it, we do not have a contact order in place and with discussions with her dad he agrees the travelling is too much. Do i just stop visitation? Or only allow her to travel up less often?
Linzi
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland.
What contact should take place is always dependent on what is in the best interests of the child and is decided on an individual basis. There is no general rule. From your narrative it appears that both you and the father agree that the travelling at least is too much for your daughter. I presume you don't think that the contact is too much as every second weekend is probably less contact than would be normal if the father stayed nearer to you.
The answer here may be to make residential contact once a month and for the contact in between to be non residential, eg, the father exercises contact locally for a day or part of a day in your part of the country. That way there will be less travelling for your daughter but she still gets to see her father every second weekend.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.